Thursday, July 26, 2012

Welcome to Our Home: The Office, Art Room, Den, Ummm... Bedroom???

Welcome to my new home!

This is the first room when you enter the house.  You probably actually notice the living room first, as there is a big "window" in between the rooms, but this is technically the first room.  It is meant to be a dining room, but its kind of our office/all purpose room.
The color did not show at ALL in this photo, but this is the "window" to the living room.  Patrick wants to put a saltwater fish tank here at some point.

I wanted it a bright lime green... but when the paint dried, it was more of an apple green.  Poo.  I am REALLY not thrilled by the color, but I have too much to do to fix it now.  Maybe later, or more likely it will grow on me for a year:) 
 The Teal shade in the door frame is the color of the living room wall and hall ceiling. 


Setting up our office:
The computer desk that we got at a garage sale for $10.00!
The Arts & Game table w/4 chairs that we found at a yard sale for $6.00!
The shelving was from Lowes.  We bought them last year for our other house to use in the kitchen... they were on sale at the time for I think $60.00.  We bought all of the baskets at that time, too, I can't remember how much, but it felt like a LOT to me because I'm fairly cheap:)

Patrick bought me this cool grass plant (no, not that type of grass... some kind of curly grass. I love it:)  That sits on some little drawers we got at a second hand furniture store for a few bucks.  I will paint them and hang them in the entry way at some point... maybe.


Speaking of THAT type of grass, our front yard has a Chinese Maple tree in it, and the second time we came to look at the house, my daughter Paris came in with a leaf and said, "MOM!  Look at what's growing in our front yard!"  I almost freaked out at first glance.  I mean, come on, I've never actually SEEN pot leaves in real life, so what do I know, but:



ANYway, back to the house... oh, wait, JUST as we were moving, my oldest daughter calls from out of state to tell me that her boyfriend lost his job, and since they were planning on moving down here at the end of the year anyway... can they come and stay for a few weeks or so while they look for a job and apartment for him?  

Um... well, Sure.  Why not?  We bought an inexpensive futon at WalMart for Matt to camp out on.  We set it up opposite the art desk.  We're still trying to find places to put things, but its going fine.  For us, anyway.  This poor guy has lived alone for years, and grew up with only one brother.  Suddenly he's thrust into this house full of 7 crazy family members that he just met.  I guess this is a good test for him to see if he really wants to marry into all of this!  Now our shelves are a little bit MORE full...

My 11 year old daughter made this painting for the front room.  I LOVE it!!


SNEAK PEEK:  Tomorrow, The Living Room!!!


What is your favorite room in the house and why?