Thursday, June 14, 2012

"Just Wait Until they're TEENAGERS!" Dun Dun DUHHHHHH

Can I please vent for just a teensy tiny moment?  Maybe not so tiny, actually.

Just wait until they're TEENAGERS!!  

OMG, I totally, like, DID, you know, and I love them even more!!!


Although maybe I just like me teenagers because they're so awesomely witty:)
I just read, "Why Women Are Crabby

We started to 'bud' in our blouses at 9 or 10 years old only to find that anything that came in contact with those tender, blooming buds hurt so bad it brought us to tears. So came the ridiculously uncomfortable training bra contraption that the boys in school would snap until we had calluses on our backs.

Next, we get our periods in our early to mid-teens (or sooner). Along with those budding boobs, we bloated, we cramped, we got the hormone crankies, had to wear little mattresses between our legs or insert tubular, packed cotton rods in places we didn't even know we had."

Then HALFWAY DOWN THE PAGE... this same person says, "Then come their 'Teen Years.' Need I say more?"

This is quite possibly my BIGGEST PET PEEVE!!!! (I swear this isn't directed at any one person, the author of this piece included, I'm just sick of this mindset!)  

I disagree vehemently with the "teen years" need I say more.  Does anyone else find it ridiculous that they start out explaining why we are so crabby (including the teen years) and then halfway through are complaining about their teenagers being crabby?  

Hypocrisy?  Why are teenagers not allowed to have emotions and moods that we ourselves expect to be allowed to have???  I've been hearing this literally since my kids were born...

"Is s/he a good baby?" (another peeve)
"A good baby?  s/he is just a baby, I don't think there is anything inherently bad about a baby... they eat, they sleep, they poop... that's about the extent of their life right now.  Nothing terribly exciting."

To which the loving, helpful, put in my life to mentor me with their sage wisdom would put on the voice of doom and give me the dire warning, "Well, just WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE TEENAGERS!  THEN you'll wish and pray that they were babies again" or something of that nature.

"Just wait until they don't want to hug you anymore!  Then you'll wish they were at this cuddly stage again..." (Wait, when does this happen?  Because I'm not a cuddly type, and at 17, my 6'2" big son practically breaks my ribs with his hugs multiple times a day!)

Just wait until the evil beast that is the teenager claws its way out of your sweet, soft spoken child and they turn into a MONSTER!!!

I heard this from nearly everybody.  Relatives, doctors, strangers in the store, strangers at the park, neighbors ad nauseam.

I would always reply with, "No, I think my kids are going to be awesome teenagers.  Probably WEIRD teenagers, but I think I'll enjoy those years too."  And they would cluck their tongues at my naivety and shake their heads.  I think they often wanted to pat my head as though I were a toddler trying to convince them that I wanted to be a turtle when I grew up.

I messed up this quote.  What he actually said was, "The only difference between 3 and 300 are zeros,
and zero =nothing, so I still win.
Well sorry to say people... My kids are now well into teenager land.  My youngest is 11, I guess, and maybe she'll suddenly turn into a raving lunatic werewolf who eats vampire placentas in the night, but I'm fairly confident that isn't going to happen.  If it does, that video is totally going on my youtube channel.  

As it is, my other kids are 14, 15, 17 (this month!) & 20, and they are amazing people.  Yes, we had some rough times off and on where kids went through puberty and learned to adjust to the hormone shift (Proper supplements can be a life saver for all involved and don't let anyone tell you differently!) and even figuring out how to transition to adulthood.

Just like we, as adults have to do several times in life, when we go through life changing experiences.  It doesn't have to be the living  hell that some people seem to expect if you can treat your children as human beings, worthy of your love and respect instead of some sort of failed science experiment when it turns out that they might have a different way of handling emotion than you do.

I love my teenagers... perhaps partially because of the fact that I raised them with no preconceived notion that they were going to suddenly turn into demon spawn when the number 13 was on their birthday cake.  Maybe its because we celebrated their 13th birthdays late (most of them, anyway) and they forgot that they were supposed to start foaming at the mouth, back talking and being a huge pain in the butt.

And yes, I realize the whole original article is supposed to be funny.  I don't know where its from, but yes, its funny that we women tend to be crabby.  Thank goodness that I can use the fact that I'm a woman for being so "crabby" about this subject.

We tease and torment each other, our love language is sarcasm, but we definitely have a lot of love... and a lot of sarcasm.
And no, as a matter of fact, I am not PMSing or in the process of menopause, I've just been waiting nearly twenty years to say "I told you so!  I'm all grown up now, so na na na na BOO BOO!  Take THAT negative mentory people from when my kids were babies."